Dr. Chuck A. Nittrouer
Department of Oceanography, University of Washington
Coastal and continental-margin sedimentation Marine geology and geophysics
Sedimentology/Stratigraphy/Sedimentary Petrology, Marine Geology and Geophysics, Quaternary Research
Modern and ancient formation of sedimentary strata in continental-margin environments, and the effects of physical and biological oceanic processes on sedimentary characteristics. A professor in Earth & Space Sciences and in the School of Oceanography, he has made a career studying places where terrestrial sediment sources enter the ocean. These have included some of the biggest rivers (e.g., Amazon, Yangtze, Fly) and smaller systems (e.g., Po, Rhone, Sepik, Columbia, Eel, Copper), as well as tidewater glaciers entering southern and northern hemisphere oceans (e.g., Antarctica, Patagonia, Alaska).
- C.A. Nittrouer, B. Raubenheimer and R.A. Wheatcroft, Lessons learned from comparison of mesotidal sand- and mudflats, Cont. Shelf Res., 33, dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.csr.2013.03.003 (2013).
- K.V. Boldt, C.A. Nittrouer, B. Hallet, M.N. Koppes, B.K. Forrest, J.S. Wellner, and J.B. Anderson, Modern rates of glacial sediment accumulation along a 15o S-N transect in fjords from the Antarctic Peninsula to southern Chile, Jour. Geophys. Res. Earth Surface (in press)
- R.P. Hale, C.A Nittrouer, J.T. Liu, R.G. Kiel and A.S. Ogston, Effects of a major typhoon on sediment accumulation in Fangliao submarine canyon, SW Taiwan, Mar. Geol. 326-328, 116-130, dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.margeo.2012.07.008 (2012)
- S.J. Bentley and C.A. Nittrouer, Accumulation and intense bioturbation of bioclastic muds along a carbonate-platform margin: Dry Tortugas, Florida, Mar. Geol., 315-318, 44-57, doi:10.1016/j.margeo.2012.05.002 (2012)
- R. Aalto and C.A. Nittrouer, 210Pb geochronology of flood events in large tropical river systems, Phil. Trans. Royal Soc., 370, 2040-2074, doi:10.1098/rsta.2011.0607 (2012)
- J.P. Walsh and C.A. Nittrouer, Understanding fine-grained river-sediment dispersal on continental margins, Mar. Geol., 263, 34-45 (2009).
- T.M. Drexler and C.A. Nittrouer, Stratigraphic signatures due to flood deposition near the Rhône River, Gulf of Lions, northwest Mediterranean Sea, Cont. Shelf Res., 28, 1877-1894 (2008).