Dr. Steven A. Kuehl
Interim Chair of Department of Geological Oceanography
Interests: Radioisotope geochemistry; sediment dispersal-resuspension
and biological mixing.
- Visiting Professor, College of Ocean and Earth Science, Xiamen University(present)
- Professor, Virginia Institute of Marine Science, William & Mary(present)
- Ph.D., North Carolina State University (1985)
- M.S., North Carolina State University (1982)
- B.A., Lafayette College (1979)
Primary research in my Sediment Geochronology and Seabed Processes group centers on sediment dispersal and the accumulation of fine-grained sediments in continental margin environments. The formation of marine sedimentary strata rarely results from the simple settling of sedimentary material to the sea floor, but rather from the complex interaction of physical, chemical, and biological processes operating in the marine environment. These processes, such as resuspension and biological mixing, impart characteristic signatures to the sediment and control the burial and preservation of important sedimentary components such as organic carbon and anthropogenic materials. We are investigating the characteristics of recent sedimentary strata on spatial scales ranging from less than a mm to 100's of meters and on temporal scales from seconds to 1,000's of years in a variety of continental margin environments. In addition to projects currently being carried out in Chesapeake Bay, I am also focused on sediment dispersal from tectonically active continental margins. Areas such as the North Island, New Zealand, which discharge huge volumes of sediment to narrow continental shelves where, presumably, active bypassing to the deep sea occurs.
- Kuehl, S.A., Alexander, C.R., Blair, N.E., Harris, C.K., Marsaglia, K.M., Ogston, A.S., Orpin, A.R., Roering, J.J., Bever, A.J., Bilderback, E.L., Carter, L., Cerovski-Darriau, C., Childress, L.B., Corbett, D.R., Hale, R.P., Leithold, E.L., Litchfield, N., Moriarty, J.M., Page, M.J., Pierce, L.E.R., Upton, P. and Walsh, J.P., 2015. Source to Sink Perspective of the Waipaoa River Margin. Earth-Science Reviews. DOI: 10.1016/j.earscirev.2015.10.001.
- Walsh, J.P., Wiberg, P.L., Aalto, R., Nittrouer, C.A. and Kuehl, S.A., 2015. Source-to-sink research: economy of the Earth’s surface and its strata. Earth-Science Reviews. DOI: 10.1016/j.earscirev.2015.11.010.
- Pondell, C.R., Beck, A.J., Kuehl, S.A. and Canuel, E.A. 2015. Application of Plutonium Isotopes to the Sediment Geochronology of Coarse-Grained Sediments from Englebright Lake, California (USA). Aquatic Geochemistry. DOI: 10.1007/s10498-015-9279-6